Friday, June 20, 2008

Rational With My Heart

I've never been a big fan of drama. I'm not a very crazy person. In fact, I've come to realize that I often use reason to make sense of my life. Rational? Me? Really? I'm sure most of my friends see me as someone who's very much in touch with my emotions. After all, I'm the one who has always been preaching all the people of the world to follow their hearts. One of my favorite quotes is Coelho's "Your heart decides, and what it decides is all that really matters" and I'll always believe that.

However, it's true.. I reason, I empathize, I try to understand what it's like to be in the other person's shoes, always making sure that I've looked at it from another perspective. I've met too many people who have been too stubborn to accept theories other than their own... making them quite difficult to deal with. I never wish to be that person. Plus... it's much easier on me to realize that there's a reason behind somebody's thoughts and actions, to be able to say "I understand."

Does that put me on the losing end of things? One of my closest friends told me that I was likely the most understanding person that she knew... but then added that it probably resulted in me getting the shaft more often than others. I mean... I see what she's saying (see what I'm doing?) - but, the thing is... I feel that it is almost a self-preservation technique. If I can rationalize it, it makes it better.

I'd rather understand the whole situation than sulk and submerge myself in confusion and anger. That can't honestly be healthy, can it? It might make things easier, in the short run, to place the blame on others and convince yourself that you're the victim of the entire thing... but in the long run... I'd think that all that hatred would turn anyone into quite a bitter person.

Of course, that doesn't mean that I'm not a huge sucker for matters of the heart. And I still believe that decisions are best made with your heart as opposed to your head. I just know that we can be true to ourselves and our hearts without being completely crazy and irrational. I'm not gonna lie... sometimes, it gets pretty hard... but heart should not equal crazy!

I think that we're all more different from each other than we believe... We take too much for granted and assume too often that what we say and do are interpreted the same way as we intend them to be.

So... before jumping to conclusions and breaking your own heart - just talk. Just communicate. I'm sure that more often than not, it would make sense... and make it all easier to deal with.

Well, at least it does for me.

No comments: