Thursday, June 16, 2005

Dalalala..

I love crossing the street over here. As soon as the little green man starts marching and the countdown begins, people step onto the street and rush to the other side. It's so crowded when I cross the street. You have 60 seconds to cross. One whole minute. So I take my time. And people rush past me. It's funnest when we reach the middle of the street, when passengers from both sides of the street meet. It makes me feel at peace. It makes me feel like a movie star starring in one of those movies set in Japan. Like a stranger amongst busy people who could care less that there's somebody new in their country.

It's been raining for.. can't remember the last day it didn't rain. I remember going to the movies and buying an umbrella. It was so nice out. Wearing white pants and flip flops wasn't the smartest idea. But it was so warm. I had to keep reminding myself of what my uncle told me the first time I encountered rain over here: "This isn't the same rain as in Canada. It's acid rain over here." It's acid rain, Sherren, it's acid rain. If I hadn't been repeating that to myself over and over again, I would have thrown out my $4 umbrella and ran under the rain. It was the perfect occasion. It was pouring so hard. It would've felt like the world's biggest warm shower. Mmmmmm.

I've gotten used to seeing bugs crawling around in the apartment. Don't get me wrong. I still jump and squeal at the mere sight of them.. I just don't freak out too much anymore. Like yesterday, there was a little creature in the bathroom. So I just refrained from taking a leak and a shower until I third time I came back, and there was no more trace of him. It was well past midnight at that point. But at least I could take my shower in peace.

I love being able to get breakfast for only a little over $1. Steamed bun and tea, I'm good to go. On the other hand though, coffee is mad expensive over here. They don't even understand what a regular, plain cup of coffee is. When I order a coffee, they tell me: "We have many different selections here, miss. Would you like sugar and milk? Hot or cold?" Uuh.. just a regular coffee please. A black one. With cream and sugar in little packs for me to add myself, please. And that costs me $3.60! A small coffee. That doesn't really even taste really good. Three dollars and sixty whole cents. Scandalous. I guess being able to get lunch—a good one—for less than $4 makes up for it.

2 comments:

Sameer Vasta said...

have you seen baraka? for some odd reason, your first paragraph reminds me a lot of the movie. you should check it out if you haven't already.

its raining here in toronto too. i went outside and ran around in the thunderstorm this past monday, i'm sorry you couldn't do the same there. i'll make an extra effort to play in the rain for you. :o)

Sherren said...

yeah I've only seen parts of it in my social context of business class. it's definitely on my to-do list to actually see the whole thing.