Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The New Season

You never know when you'll wake up to a whole new world.

Today, it snowed. I opened my curtains, and the trees and the steets were covered with a thin layer of white. Yesterday was autumn, today is winter.

And there it went. Fall had come and gone, with the blink of one eye... and yet, so much had happened.

So I put on a hat—a winter hat. I went outside into the cold. I stepped into puddles of slush, over and over again, as if I had forgotten how to avoid them. With a smile on my face, my hands froze, my feet and my pants got drenched. And whenever I stepped inside, I felt the warm slowly creep over my body. I closed my eyes, and saw myself sitting by a campfire, feeling the fire on my face.

Everybody must have been dreading today. Our first snow. The beginning of the end. The start of shivers and the end of ice cream. But for some odd reason, I liked today. It was a brand new day. A brand new season. A brand new excuse to start over again.

Fall might be coming back tomorrow. There might not be any trace that any snow had happened. And Fall will stick around for another week, or maybe two...

But winter will be back. Just because it's meant to be that way.

Who knows... Maybe winter won't be so bad this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe just maybe.