Friday, January 11, 2008

Happy 2008. A little Belated.

Happy New Year! New Year's resolution? "Oh, just do it."

Yup, that sums it up! Stop thinking about it. Stop thinking about the implications. The future. Just do it. Here is the thought process:

Is it something you want? If yes, proceed.
Is this something that makes you happy? If yes, PROCEED.

As simple as that. Of course, if I were an evil person, it would not be a very good resolution.... because I would probably hurt lots of poeple and break lots of things. Thankfully, disregarding other's feelings does not make me happy. What I want, at least for today, is to better myself... in every way. Live happy.

Actually, live happy is the first step. Everybody's I think. Then, when you are happy, you can really start to accomplish things. Real things. Things like being able to listen. Love. Believe in others. But especially, believe in yourself.

I remember talking about being happy a lot. About what it takes for someone to be happy. I always loved the quote: "There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way." And I still find it oh so very wise. Although, I must say... sometimes, it gets hard. When things just don't go the way you thought they would. When your heart breaks. When you get let down. When you have what-else-can-possibly-go-wrong days and yet another thing goes wrong... and another. Anyway, you get my point.

What is the key then? Ah, who knows. For me, it was not giving up. Of course, it helps that I have amazing people around me. Who don't tell me that the world is wonderful... but who are there for me when it isn't. They don't promise that things will be okay, but tell me I must move on. On top of that, they don't do it in a mean, lecturing voice, but in a loving and soothing tone! haha. I just figure.. if people like them exist, the world can't be that bad.

And it really isn't! And here we are again. With the key. The believing. The faith. The unfailing positive attitude. I will say no more. Only you can convince you. Or if you have friends with loving and soothing voices, you should ask them to convince you. It's worth it, just trust me.

Wow! Well that was a long tangent. All this to say that... for the first time in a long time, I am happy. And I am ready to get started on doing all those real things. Like being able to listen. Love. Believe in others. Believe in myself.... to do all the things I've been dreaming of doing.

To look at my to-do list, say "Oh, just do it..." and actually do it.

1 comment:

Sameer Vasta said...

Funny, my resolution for the year was to stop making excuses and just do it as well.

And Sherren, I'm super glad you're happy. Makes me smile to hear that.