Monday, January 12, 2004

It Goes Both Ways

Don't accuse me of being too nice. First of all, I can't help it. And second of all, you shouldn't be taking advantage. Alright... maybe I am over sensitive and I think too much. And maybe I try too hard. Maybe I ask too many "how are yous" and tell you too many times that you can count on me. But thinking back on it.. with true friends, it is hardly necessary to "try too hard".

If you have taken me seriously and really see me as a real friend, then you'd be picking up the phone to give me a call, you'd come to me when you have troubles and really hear what I have to say, from my advice to my ranting... without having me call you first or asking you if life's good.

You gotta work at a relationship, said my little sister. And she's right. It's not just about spending time together when you have time, it's making the time and effort to show that friend of yours that you do care and do love to spend time with them. True enough, a friend should understand that you lead a busy life and have other things to do or have just moved on to a new stage of your life where you've met new people you now associate with all the time. But what kind of reason is: "Sorry, I can't see you because I have new friends." ?? Call me crazy, but I thought that excuse actually sounded quite reasonable... But now that I hear it... it's kind of heartbreaking.

If you really enjoy the company of somebody, it should be effortless to make time for them. Don't we all agree that there's always time for the things that makes us happiest? If a relationship becomes too much of a burden, maybe it's not worth keeping it. But please, don't hang out all the time and then never call for a month.

My big sister says that friends are periodic. And I think she makes sense, too. Friends come and go and it's the good times spent together that matter. When they move on to bigger and more exiting things, you just gotta let them go and cherish the unforgettable memories you've had with them. But isn't that kind of sad? To think there isn't one person who cares for you enough to stick around, who wants to know that you're okay and who wants your opinion on their dilemmas...? It is kind of devastating.

I guess it's all about perspective.

All I gotta say is - please look around you and give poeple the time and attention they deserve. And if they're great but for some reason, you don't have interest in this particular person, have a little respect, treat them with courtesy and don't ever make them believe that you care for them as much as they care for you. They'll understand, respect you and just know that things weren't meant to be...!

Cherish what you have, be sincere and remember that any kind of relationships goes both ways.

No comments: