Friday, January 02, 2004

Not a Girl

Ever since I was a kid, I never liked to be considered a "girl". It was just so typical. Girls loved shopping and took ages to get ready to go out. They cared about their makeup, the way they were dressed, the way they looked and they annoyed boys with completely mindless matters... They spent way too much time gossiping and only befriended those who were considered to be "cool". Guys just seemed to be so much more laid back. They didn't seem to care who you were for them to hang out with you. I always made sure that my guy friends knew that I was more of a "boy". "I'm not a girl" I'd say.

And each time anybody made any kind of generalisations about girls, I'd repeat that same sentence. I mean, I never watched what I ate in fear of gaining extra pounds; I always wanted to be the sporty one, not afraid of breaking a nail; and I never was too fond of barbies or soap operas... On top of everything, I seemed to get along much better with boys than girls. Even now, I still utter that same sentence: "I'm not a girl".

But lately, I thought of this statement and realised that I may be totally wrong. I actually am sort of a girl. Still, I'm that girl who loves watching chick flicks, longs for a boyfriend who is a romantic gentleman and adore the color pink. I still love little children, cry when I'm sad and have long conversations on the phone. You can really say that I'm "such a girl". There are so any generalisations about girls that also apply to me, but I always stressed that things just happened to be that way and that there are no excuses to use such stereotypes under any circumstances... and I still believe that. But all that just made me realise that maybe I am a pretty typical girl...

I guess I still don't really know which side I want to take. And I guess it's not really about that and it really doesn't matter what I decide. As long as I know that I am true to myself, I will be fine. It shouldn't matter whether people view me as typical or not. If I happen to fall into the mold of a typical girl, then so be it. I'm only who I am and am not trying to fit into any kind of profile that has been pre-written out for me. I'm simply that girl who relishes a delicious bubble bath after an exciting game of paintball.

I'm a girl, and proud to be.

No comments: