Monday, January 10, 2005

Inspired

Maybe it's the new year. I'm suddenly understanding it all much better.

I have taken on a new attitude about life. Well, I wouldn't say it's new. It's just... clearer than before. I know I've always been a positive person, and I take pride in that. But I must say that I still need to work on being happier. Don't we all?

We all know that it's better to smile. But for some reason, many of us choose to cry. You wake up from the wrong side of the bed. Suddenly everything is wrong. You miss the bus, you trip on your way to school, you fail a quiz, you realise that you forgot your wallet... and then, you find out that your zipper's been open since you went to the bathroom this morning. Next thing you know, instead of just having a bad day, you're having a bad week... or wait, a bad year, a bad life. Did you ever think that you might have barely noticed any of those things if only you had a different attitude? We all know all the inspirational quotes and sayings, we all want to be happier. But for some reason, many of us still believe that the grass is greener on the other side.

I've decided to live better. To live healthier, to live happier. I'm going to stop living for tomorrow, for what might've been, for what should be. No more "what ifs" and "if onlys", no more expectaions. I will live for today, for this moment, this second. I will surround myself with what matters. Family. Friends. I will passionately pursue all that I love and all that moves my heart. I will take care of myself, eat well, stay active. I will thoroughly feel every emotion and learn to grow. I will live for me.

I don't want to bother with the "rules" of society, with what they expect of me. I just want to trust my instincts. I won't try to convince anybody to live a certain way. I will only lead by example, offer my sincere advice, lend a helping hand, and hope to make a difference.

Matthew Ryan Hoge wrote in his movieThe United States of Lelandthat "most poeple don't have the inner strength to do good all the time," but I find it easier to be nice; it takes too much effort to hate, to be mad, to be upset, and to stay that way.

I will no longer be looking for that someone. As much as I believe in love, as much as I believe in sharing life with that one person that I adore, I believe that it'll all find me whenever it all finds me. I will simply live my life, love everything that I do, and greet everybody with a friendly smile along the way. If anybody likes what they see or want a little more, they can come knock on my door.

I've been inspired to just be happy. And I will be. I am happy. It's really just as simple as that. Just as easy as that. I've been aiming for the bull's eye of happiness for years. And I've been getting closer and closer as time goes by. Someone said, "there is no way to happiness, happiness is the way." Boy, they couldn't be more right. Do what you gotta do. Say what you gotta say. Treat yourself well, allow yourself to be the best that you can be. You owe it to yourself.

The new year was a great time to start living better, sure. But everyday is a new day; you shouldn't need to wait for a reason to start over. You can't put off something so important. It's never been so real.

What the heck, it's your life. Do what you please. It's all up to you.

1 comment:

Y said...

oh sherren the idealist :D