Monday, March 07, 2005

Friends

I am grateful for my friends. And taking the time to see them as much as you can really makes difference... a big difference.

It's been crazy. School. Rehearsals. Exams. Assignments. There's practically no time for life. But I try. And I make time. Afterall, what's life about? Relationships with the people you love. Of course.

It's not enough to know you're friends with someone. You might've been really close at some point in your life, but if you don't keep up with each other, you'll lose one another. I'll always remember when one of my friends told me: "I don't know you anymore!" It wasn't an angry reproach, or anything negative. It was just a simple statement. We hadn't seen each other in about 3 months, and when we did, it still felt like we were good friends. But when he said that, I realised, he was right. Sure, he knew who I was, he knew what kind of person I was, but he had absolutely no idea what had been going on in my life over the past few months. And surely, a lot happens in a few months.

Being friends with someone means to be in their lives. To actually have good times together. To be able to say: "Remember when..." It's not enough to see each other every other month and "update" each other over coffee. You shouldn't have to "update" your friends about anything. You just share as you go...

We're all busy people, I know. But you and I both know that we all have lots of time when we're just sitting on our bottoms, buming around, with nothing to do. That's when you'll pick up that phone and hang out with your friends. But if you can't have that kind of spontaneity with someone, if making plans with them is always a long, formal process... maybe it's not friendship.

Look around you, and see who your friends are. Take time to spend time with them. It's important. It's everything. Hold on tight to your real friends... many of us don't have the luxury to have such great people in our lives.

1 comment:

Sameer Vasta said...

Hold on tight to your real friends... many of us don't have the luxury to have such great people in our lives.You'd be surprised how much that line resonated with me. Sometimes, when you're in a place where it's a little hard to connect with people and reconnect with your real friends, you realize just how great they are.